All the online casinos in Pennsylvania offer craps as it is one of the most traditional games you can play. While you might think it is hard to play online without actually seeing someone toss the dice, many players are starting to learn online craps is just as fun as playing at the brick and mortar casinos. If you are still learning the game, it is good to know most online PA casinos offer free games to hone your skills or real money games for craps enthusiasts.
Craps is a game that intimidates many new players because it looks a little complex. The best way to go about learning craps is by playing online with small stakes until you become a pro and really understand what you are doing.
Playing Online Craps PA
Craps has only two phases. The “Come Out Round” and “Point Round.”
Come out Round
This round has many bets, and the players have two main courses of action when in this round:
- Pass Line: if the shooter rolls a 7 or 11, the bet wins, but if a 2, 3 or 12 comes out, the bet loses (“Craps”)
- Don’t Pass Line: if the shooter rolls a 2 or 3, the bet wins, or pushes with a 12 while loses with a 7 or 11
Most craps players will place their bets on the Pass Line so that everyone at the table either losses or wins. If you decide to bet on “Don’t Pass Line” you will be playing against the other players and is sometimes shunned at brick and mortar casinos. This betting option is also known as the dark side. When playing online craps game, you have the option of picking any side since you will be playing against the software and do not have to worry about other players at the table
The next phase of crap only happens if the “Come out Round” phase roll hits a 4, 5, 6, 8, 9 or 10. In other words, if a hot “shooter” keeps rolling a 7 or 11, and you keep betting on the Pass Line, you keep winning. However, once a 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 10 is rolled, you move on to the Point Round.
In this phase, the dealer moves an “On” button to the number (“point”) that was just rolled, letting you know the game has entered the second phase of the round. If the shooter then immediately rolls that number, all the Pass Line bets win. However, whereas the 7 was a lucky number in the Come Out Round for Pass Line bets, now if the shooter rolls a seven, the Pass Line bets all lose.
This phase of the game can continue for a long time. The roller continues until number 7 is hit, thus ending his round (“A Seven-Out”). During this phase, players are allowed to bet on a shooter rolling any number, however, the best occurrence for Pass Line bets is if the number rolled from the Come Out Round is rolled in the Point Round.
The PGCB (Pennsylvania Gambling Control Board) sets the odds for the craps games in the PA casinos. All the casinos in Pennsylvania use 3-4-5x odds.
Online Craps Rules and How to Make Field Bets and Proposition Bets
Craps is a casino game where players bet on the outcomes of a rolled dice. But with online craps in Pennsylvania, the rolled dice is replaced by the computerized random number generator (RNG), which randomly generates any number whenever a dice is rolled.
Once a point has been established after the Come Out Round, players can make field bets and proposition bets. The PGCB has a limit to the maximum odds bet which players can place. This new bet is placed behind the players’ Pass Line bet. The bets are paid true odds every single time the point of the game is rolled again.
Players also have the option of betting on other numbers, groups of numbers and propositions, before each roll. The payouts of these bets are displayed on the table, but below is a list of the general bets which are available for players (“Point” means “number rolled”):
- Pass Line: The bet wins with a roll of 7 or 11, and loses with a roll of 2, 3, or 12. When a point is set, the Pass Line bets win only when the established point is hit.
- Don’t Pass: The bet wins with a roll of 2 or 3 and loses with a roll of 7 or 11. A roll of 12 sets the game on a push. When a point is established, these bets win when a 7 is rolled.
- Come: the same winning and losing conditions of the Pass Line bet, but only after the point is established.
- Don’t Come: the same winning and losing conditions of the Don’t Pass bet, but only after the point is established.
- Hard Ways: a bet on either 4 (7:1), 6 (9:1), 8 (9:1), or 10 (7:1), which comes with paired dice.
- Place Bets: placing a bet on any of the six numbers becoming a point. The bet wins if the number is rolled before a 7. This bet has the following payouts: 4 and 10 (payout is 9:5), 5 and 9 (payout is 7:5), and, 6 and 8 (payout is 7:6).
- Lay Bets: opposite of the Place Bets. The payouts of the bet for 4 and 10 (5:11), 5 and 9 (8:5), and 6 and 8 (7:5).
- Field: it’s a single roll bet which wins if any of the following numbers are rolled: 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11 or 12.
- Any Craps: it is a win if the dice rolls a 2, 3 or 12, the payout is 8:1.
- Aces: the bet pays 30:1 to 33:1 on any roll of 2 (depending on the casino).
- Ace-Deuce: a win on any roll of 3, its payout is 15:1 or 16:1. (depending on the casino).
- Yo/Eleven: a win on any roll of 11, payouts are 15:1 or 16:1. (depending on the casino).
- Boxcars/Midnight: a win on any roll of 12, payouts are 30:1 to 33:1 (depending on the casino).
- Big Red: a win on any roll of 7, the payout is 4:1.
If you want to become an ace at craps, then it’s important to do your homework. You need to learn everything about the game and become familiar with it, so you know why you have moved on from the Come Out Round to the Point Round. Next it is best to familiarize yourself with all the different field and proposition bets so you can have fun with the game and maybe try different approaches and see which one suits you bet.
Moreover, there are several PA online casinos, which allow players to play demo mode. Craps can be an intimidating game for newcomers, so it is probably best to spend a decent amount of time with the demo mode to learn the ins and outs by actually playing. After mastering the game, you can use the following strategies when playing to increase your chances of winning:
- Stick to the basics
- Take the odds
- Avoid the Hard Ways
Whatever your flavor, online craps is a fun and exciting way to spend your day and if you get a hot shooter, there is no telling what kind of fun you can have all from the comfort of your home.